Choosing a legal professional to protect you in court is something most of us hope we wont ever have to experience, but sometimes things happen and we may find ourselves in difficult situations. This is where attorneys come in, it is their job to plead the case of their client. So, if you do find yourself in a situation where you’re in need of legal help, how do you choose the best criminal defence lawyer in Sydney? With so many criminal defence lawyers Sydney it can be hard to decide which one is right for you. So here are some top tips for choosing the most appropriate one.
1. The first thing you need to think about is cost. Criminal defence lawyers in Sydney range in price quite drastically, so before contacting any legal professional decide what you can afford. Use your price range to whittle down the law firms then consider other aspects before selecting one. It’s important to remember that the cheapest option isn’t always the best, but nor is the most expensive. So don’t let price be the only deciding factor.
2. It is crucial to find an attorney that specializes in the sector of law your case falls into. There are many criminal defence lawyers Sydney, however, do your research before settling on one. Experience is key when it comes to attorneys, so look for someone who has numerous cases under their belt.
3. Does the attorney you’re considering have a good record of success? If not maybe give them a pass. With so many options for criminal defence lawyers in Sydney you can afford to be picky. So, find out how long the attorney has been practicing law, how many trials they have had and what the outcome of those trials were. As this is the person that will be arguing your innocence, make sure they are a trial attorney and are confident in the court room.
4. Another important factor is the legal practitioner’s relationship with the local courts. Competent and well respected criminal defence lawyers in Sydney will have good rapport with the Sydney court staff and judges. Hiring a legal professional that is well connected will greatly help your case.
5. All criminal defence lawyers in Sydney are different, each will have their own strengths and weaknesses, but finding a one with an unconventional way of thinking may work in your favour. Instead of choosing someone who is just going through the motions, opt for an attorney that will find new angles and original ways of arguing your case.
6. This may seem like an obvious one, but, it is essential to find a criminal defence lawyer in Sydney
that you trust. A good attorney is someone who you can rely on and confide in. This is the person who is pleading your innocence, so you need to trust that they will be there for you even when things get difficult. Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine if the attorney in question is trustworthy or not, so the best thing to do is try to read reviews from their previous clients online. Meeting face to face is always a good way to determine if you can trust them or not, so don’t make any final decisions before meeting in person.
7. Criminal defence lawyers in Sydney often work on numerous cases at once, but you need to be certain that whoever you choose is focused on your case. After meeting the legal practitioner, you are considering, ask yourself if they appeared focused and detail orientated. Will they be there whenever you have a question? If the answer is no, perhaps they aren’t the defender for you.
8. Finally, check references. Any good criminal defence lawyer in Sydney will have previous clients, so do your research before committing. No legal professional can win every case they take on, however, you want to find someone with more wins than losses, and more positive reviews than negative.